Odd things, daily.
32-year-old Florida man Edward Archbold ate dozens of cockroaches, worms and bugs as part of an “Eat Bugs for Balls” contest at the Ben Seigel Reptile Shop. He won the competition, taking home the grand prize, an $850 ivory ball python. He then left the store, vomited, and promptly collapsed.
Archbold was transported to a nearby hospital where he was soon pronounced dead. An autopsy was conducted and the Broward County medical examiner is awaiting test results. None of the other contestants are ill, and the store claims the bugs were safe to eat. In the wild, cockroaches often pick up various bacterial organisms such as salmonella. But Luke Lirot, a lawyer for the reptile store, explained that all the bugs used in the competition were “taken from an inventory of insects that are safely and domestically raised in a controlled environment as food for reptiles.”
The roach-eating contest was part of the reptile store’s “Midnight Madness” sale. Contestants had four minutes to eat as many roaches, worms and bugs as they could, some of which were up to three inches long. Regurgitation was strictly against the rules. “Oh yeah, any vomiting is an automatic DQ” the store Facebook page warned. Contestants were made to sign a waiver, accepting responsibility for their participation. Part of the competition was captured on the video below, wherein Archbold appears to be a crowd favourite.
As for the ivory ball python, the store Facebook pages explains, “the snake is being held in his name and is full property of his estate.”
Special thanks to Dan Ostroff for sending me this story.